Friday, February 5, 2010

Relax Mom

My almost-six-year-old son just told me, his MOTHER, to RELAX.

His nose has been in the new library books since we got home. I told him to get his jammies on. He ignored me. I repeated myself (apparently he is hearing impaired). He informed me that he was reading. I let him know that if he did not stop right then to get his jammies on that he was going to bed immediately. He sighed deeply, wary in his spirit.

A couple of minutes later I moved my chair to get up to do something. My son became concerned when he heard the movement and yelled to me from his bedroom:

"RELAX, MOM! I'm getting my jammies on."

"What did you say to me?" I asked.

"I told you to RELAX," he answered.

What can I say? I stifled a laugh because I have no idea where he got that word from he comes by it honestly.

I'll RELAX him, alright. After I ensure that his earlobes hang an inch lower.

6 comments:

Rachel Goff said...

Oh, Darla! You have such a way of retelling a story- so well that I feel like a fly on the wall watching the whole thing. I had to read the post 3 times and laughed out loud every time. Kids are such wonderful blessings!! Rachel G

Darla said...

If I can make a mama who 35-weeks-pregnant-with-twins (carrying over 12 lbs) laugh, then I am supremely satisfied!

Waiting and watching for the BIG announcement.....

Mrs. Wizzle said...

Darla, it reminds me of the time that Marcus was in my arms (that's how small he was) and I was uptight about something and he told me to take a Valium. "Mom, take a valium" You can guess where he got that from.

Darla said...

That is hilarious! I can just see Melvin on the ground laughing, too.

Laura said...

Why is it they always pick up and remember the bad habits the quickest and we try and get them to use their manners or pick up good habits and we struggle with that for a loonnggg time???? AKKK!!! Just sayin....

Darla said...

Yeah, like how I'm so sweet, longsuffering and compassionate. Just think how much more wonderful they would be if only they would pick up THOSE traits from dear old mom.......:)