Monday, May 5, 2008

Ab-so-lute-ly!

Wow, posts two nights in a row. That's a record.

Well, tonight Hannah asked me one of the inevitable questions that come from children. You know, of the "birds and the bees" type, although not "how did I get in your belly, mom?" As inquisitive as she is, she hasn't asked that directly yet. Fortunately she is also still naive, and I'll let her be as long as possible. That is the true beauty of not allowing the garbage of television (or public school - sorry!!) to infiltrate her mind - her innocence can be protected much longer. Anyway, I digress.

She asked me how I could tell she was a girl when she was born. I knew she just hadn't quite thought this through, so I decided to help her think it through herself. I asked what the main difference between a boy and a girl was. She thought for a moment and said, "their hair"? (Spoken like a true Pentecostal).

I knew we had some work to do.

We eventually arrived at the logical conclusion and the lightbulb went on. I did manage not to chuckle out loud at her initial answer, so it ended with her being perfectly content that she "figured out" the answer.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Seth has two favourite words right now - actually and absolutely. He uses them correctly, but it always strikes me as hilarious because he uses them so emphatically.

"Seth, would you like cereal for breakfast?" I ask.

"Yes. Um, no. Act-u-a-lly I would like some toast, please." He states precisely.

Or, my favourite.....

"Seth, do you have to go to the bathroom?" I ask.

"Yes, mom, I ab-so-lute-ly do have to go to the bathroom!" Seth replies.

I don't know if this strikes anyone else but me as funny, but to see this four year old speaking these words in all seriousness, correctly, to emphasize his point, is just plain funny.

No comments: