Friday, May 28, 2010

Epiphany

It's been a bleh morning. A bleh week. It's been raining record amounts for this time of year, with colder than usual temperatures as well.

In fact, I've been fighting blehness for two weeks simply because of the bulging disc I have in my neck. Although it's slowly improving, I've had neck pain, arm pain - at times excruciating - arm numbness and tingling, and headaches. I can't sleep properly. I live on ibuprofen.

I had the recent revelation that my own blehness is affecting my kids (I'm slow sometimes, what can I say....). Since blehness is catchy, Seth is very whiny. He is so ridiculously whiny that he came out of his bedroom this morning, whining that his left arm was hurting.

"Mom, (big tears for dramatic effect) my left arm is VERY sore (lower lip hanging downward). In fact, it's so sore that you need to take me to the doctor," he said.

I was very surprised because he never has liked doctors much. He's seen them infrequently in the last few years because he is so healthy. I really couldn't imagine why he would actually WANT to see one. He then surprised me further.

"Mom, I think I'm going to need a NEEDLE in this arm to help it!"

Okay. A needle. A NEEDLE. A NEEDLE!!!!

This is when I had an epiphany. I had obviously been talking and {{gulp}} whining too much about my neck and arms, and my son was just my......echo. (Although I must confess the needle-thing is still surprising because I have not asked for, mentioned or even hinted that I might need one.....)

I know these lessons are necessary. I just wish I learned more quickly.

No comments: