Saturday, July 25, 2009

Paper Bag Princess

Yesterday the kids head-butted. Acidentally.......I think. I was not in the same room when it happened, but the screams and wails could be heard at their auntie Laura's house clear across town. When I walked into the living room, Hannah was crying so hard that she could barely catch her breath. Seth was crying, slightly, but I think more because he envisioned his untimedly demise. It is usually through his wrestling that these accidents occur, after all.

I saw that Hannah had a small laceration on her left eyebrow, and you know how surface wounds are, they bleed like you're dying. This was almost her undoing. After cleaning her up, I gave her the dreaded words that she would have to wear a bandaid on her eyebrow. For all the world to see. We were leaving the house pronto for an appointment, so I didn't have time to hold something on her wound for the next 30 minutes.

Just like kids do not have to be taught how to lie, neither do girls have to be taught how to be vain. It is somewhere in the psyche of the female gender that they must look nice at any cost. So, when we had to go out into public, my little/big girl was not very pleased with me. We went a couple of places, and each time she walked with her head down, arm over her left eye, very gimped. Really, I wish that I would have remembered my camera. It did not matter how many times I told her that she was drawing much more attention to herself by the way she was walking and hiding, she would not believe me. She had a bandaid on her eyebrow, after all.

Next time there is an incident of this nature, and I'm quite certain there will be a "next time", this is what I am going to recommend she wear out in public.


At least my princess won't have to walk all gimped.

2 comments:

Rachel Goff said...

Darla- Since I haven't any other way of contacting you, I'd just best tell you.... We are expecting twins. Yup, twins. We found out last night, and 24 hrs later I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it. I'm 8 weeks today, and desperately covet your prayers.

Thanks for sharing about your kids. They're definitely one of a kind, and so special!! I always enjoy reading your blog.

And, I'm working on getting our website back up and running. Now I have another (or should I say 2 more?) great excuses, I'm trying hard. I'll let you know when it's up again.

Love,
Rachel Goff

Darla said...

Oh Rachel, I am so absolutely delighted for you! I'm NOT at all being sarcastic, either. I think women who have twins are blessed, indeed. Yes, I would be scared spitless, but I would also feel DOUBLY (doubley??) blessed. I am so glad you told me. I haven't gotten around to putting my email address on my blog, but you can always email me at darlahude@sasktel.net.

Your parents must be over the moon about this.

Wow. I don't know what else to say, except get that blog of yours up and running again.

Love you.